Tuesday, September 11, 2012

William Stout

William Stout
website: www.williamstout.com
images copyright William Stout

10 Questions With William Stout
1.... who is your favorite artist?

Contemporary: Jean "Moebius" Giraud (link)
Past: Thomas Moran (link) for landscapes; John William Waterhouse (link) for figure work.


2.... do you offer workshops for artists?

I teach a figure drawing workshop at my studio every Sunday. I've been doing that for over twenty years.


3.... what do you like to listen to while you work?

Music appropriate to the subject matter at hand. In general, the blues, Beethoven, Stravinsky, 1960s & 70s rock.



4.... what medium and tools do you use to create your art?

Winsor & Newton alkyd oils for my oil paintings, Winsor & Newton watercolors for my watercolors, Winsor Newton brushes for both. I guess that makes me a Winsor & Newton man. I use Higgins India ink, which used to be better.I ink with both brush and pen, using an off-the-rack crowquil for my pen work.


5.... during an average week how many hours a day / week do you work on creating art?

17 hours per day (8:00 AM - 1:00 AM), seven days a week is normal.


6.... are you working your dream job?

Yes! Especially when it's murals.


7.... do you feel its important for others to pursue their dream jobs?


Yes; I feel sorry for those who don't (or can't).


8.... where can people see your work (online, conventions or exhibits)?

www.williamstout.com, the San Diego Natural History Museum, the Houston Museum of Natural Science, Walt Disney's Animal Kingdom, the San Diego Zoo, Comic-Con International, Dragon*Con, WonderFest...That's a good start.


9.... was there a certain moment that you knew you wanted to be an artist?

I was going to be a doctor. I got such a crappy English, science and math education at my last high school that I switched my major from Science-Math to Art --- and never looked back.


10.... is there anything else you would like to add or say to other artists?

Work traditionally, even if you're a digital artist. Always deliver 100% to the best of your abilities. Work hard, play hard. Get out of the house or studio and have adventures in a different part of the world each year. Never stop trying to learn something new.

I could go on and on; I'm a goddam mountain of advice.


William Stout
website: www.williamstout.com
images copyright William Stout

No comments:

Post a Comment